Hello, my dear followers! Today we are going to paint the picture quite relevant to the spring and called «In the rain». The painting slightly resembles the style of the artist Leonid Yefremov who is famous for his vivid works. I am going to paint this picture using the acrylic painting creative set.
So let`s start with the question: how to paint this picture and what tools do we need? If you have the «Creative set», everything is simple because there are all the necessary materials and tools inside the box which are of the quite high quality and at affordable price.
If you do not have this set, you should prepare:
- canvas on cardboard (30х40cm);
- plastic palette;
- synthetic chisel brushes (№ 3-4, и 6-8);
- palette knife;
- acrylic paints:
- yellow, red and orange shades;
Also everyone will certainly need:
- water can (to wash the brushes);
- paper napkins or cloth.
Let`s start our acrylic art lesson:
1. First of all you should apply the sketch onto the canvas: place the silhouettes of the three people with umbrellas in the center of the canvas. It is necessary to leave the free space above the umbrellas and under the people`s leg. Also do not forget to leave the free space leftward and rightward.
2. Put all the necessary paints onto the palette considering the fact that at first you will need to fill in the back ground which should have the warm (red, yellow, orange, brown) colors. You can get the paints out from the tubes using the palette knife. Make sure you have tightly closed the paint tubes. Try to remember the tips and the acrylic art techniques that you`ve learnt.
3. Then fill in the background. Here`s one of the canvas painting techniques: before filling in the background you can water the canvas, thus it will be easier to apply the paint on the canvas surface. Use the big chisel brush in order to apply the background paint. Apply the paint making the horizontal brush strokes. Use minimum water when diluting the paints. You should alternately use all the paints and their mixes which are mentioned above.
4. You can mix the paints on the palette using either palette knife or brush. If the acrylic paints are not diluted with water, they are applied quite pastously on the canvas producing an effect of the oil painting. If you add some water to the acrylic paints, they become transparent and create the water-color effect. Take these characteristics into account when working on this or other paintings.
5. When the background paint has been applied, you can start working on the people’s silhouettes. Begin with the umbrellas. For this purpose mix a few dark red hues: red + brown; red+ brown + black. Also you will need orange, yellow and pink paints. Fill in the umbrellas considering that they are divided into the segments. Each segment has different shade and light, they can be sagged or gibbous on the contrary.
6. Let`s come over to the people`s figures. The people are dressed in the dark clothes, but we are going to variegate it a bit. Add a little blue to the clothes of the woman on the left, a little brown to the clothes of the woman on the right and a little gray to the man`s clothes. Do not forget that there should be some wrinkles on the clothes when walking – paint them using the darker hue. It is more convenient to paint the silhouettes with the thin brush. Also you should show the direction of the wind and the rain over the all figures using the very rare paint (white + purple). Dip the finger into this rare paint and smear it over the silhouette diagonally from right to left and from top to bottom.
7. Paint these silhouettes reflections in the puddles of water quite sharply using the dark paints (with the help of the brush).
8. The next stage of our art painting lesson is painting the overtones on the puddles. For this purpose make a few very light mixes: white + yellow; white + blue; white + green. Apply the horizontal brush strokes using the palette knife. There should be especially lots of them under our characters` legs. In order to do these brush strokes, dip the rib of the palette knife into the paint and draw a horizontal line. These brush strokes should not be arranged in a one row or placed in some visible order. The brush strokes should be chaotic, of different lengths and colors.
9. You can apply the same light and bright brush strokes over the background paint using the chisel brush. And the finishing touches of our canvas painting: finalizing the people`s figures, the overtones on the umbrellas and the background and correct everything that you do not like.
That is all! The work is done!